This project originated as a section within the Hello Race Fans Thoroughbred horse racing fan education site. It was active between 2018 and 2019 and looked at a variety of data points for a handful of graded stakes races from 1991 to 2018 (and in some cases 2019).
The profiles are a series of data visualizations created to answer simple questions like “how have favorites performed in this race historically?” and “what kind of running styles have performed well, or not”.
Google charts provided a relatively straightforward way to produce simple charts, but presented a host of issues, mainly around accessibility and performance. For more information see the Accessibility Statement for details.
What’s included in each profile(permalink)
Each race looks at the following angles…
- Odds and payouts
- Bettors’ choice and field size
- Running styles
- Last track raced and days since last raced
- Winner’s placing in prior race
Races for horses older than 3-years-old include
- Winners by age
- Multiple winners and “run backs” (horses who have made more than one start in the race)
Open company races, or races that are open to any sex, include
- How fillies and mares have performed (if any fillies or mares raced in the time period)
Races for 2-year-olds include
- Number of career starts prior to race
Have feedback or want to get in touch? Use this form, thanks!